Principal Specialist: VSAT Products (Principal Specialist)
Reference : Principal Specialist
Salary : ZAR/annum + none
Job Location : - South Africa -- Gauteng
Job Type : Permanent
Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018
Closing date : 30 Nov 2018 23:59
The Principal Specialist will be responsible for championing the evolution of the VSAT services portfolio of products across our African EBU operations, by redefining the strategic direction of the portfolio and boosting revenues from our existing assets.
The role may require extensive travel outside the borders of South Africa.
Essence of Role – Key Accountabilities
- Develop and maintain stakeholder relations with internal and external business partners.
- Assess the “as-is” capabilities of assets with recommendations towards it’s fitness-for-purpose.
- Manage the evolution of the existing product portfolio and identify position on the market adoption lifecycle.
- Update and refresh existing product collateral.
- Identify products for rationalization and substitution while managing the inherent risks.
- Provide input and support into the greater Products and Services department’s business direction and strategy.
- Align the various International markets product roadmaps with the overall Enterprise Business Unit’s strategy.
- Develop performance indicators for the portfolio and implement in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Develop and manage the portfolio’s targets, budgets and resources in line with the overall division’s strategy.
- Provide monthly management reports analysing the commercial and operational performance of the portfolio.
- Prepare product portfolio presentations and information / training material.
- Work with Marketing to develop merchandising, promotions and advertising campaigns for products.
- Gather intelligence on the product performance, customer and distribution channel attitudes.
- Initiate product improvements and enhancements to meet changing market needs.
- Support Technology and Supply Chain Business Partners in the management of product contracts and agreements.
- Provide portfolio leadership to teams of Product Managers and Specialist via virtual teams across various markets.
- Transfer of knowledge base and skills to identified Product Specialist.
Strategy Formulation & Execution
- Articulate the Portfolio Ambition to the business.
- Review and revise the strategy and direction of the ‘VSAT’ Products and Services as a subset of the Fixed Connectivity portfolio for the Enterprise Business Unit (EBU) markets in Africa.
- Conduct required market segment research to accurately capture addressable gaps in the market based on customer / business needs and views.
- Identify relevant customer Use Cases based on needs analysis to fuel the portfolio roadmap.
- Develop a “Portfolio Strategy Blueprint” to address immediate and future market demands.
- Develop the portfolio transformation roadmap and manage the execution thereof from the blueprint.
- Motivate the business to support investments via profitable Business Cases, in line with the blueprint.
- Manage the portfolio of products and services through all phases of the product development life cycle from ideation, concept definition, product development, commercialization, management till retirement.
- Follow defined commercial product methodology in taking new products to market.
- Work with various parts of the business to develop and launch new products or services.
- Assist with the design and development of business processes and integration into OSS/BSS systems.
- Identify, develop and establish the channels required to increase the market penetration of the portfolio.
- Provide Commercial support to the Technology business partners towards their strategy definition and execution.
- Elevate the profile of VSAT as a viable connectivity services alternative/compliment to Terrestrial options.
- Repositioning VSAT connectivity services as a revenue growth engine within the business.
- Articulate quantifiable metrics for short term quick win revenue uplift opportunities.
- Provide “Black Belt” Pre-sales specialist support to the various commercial teams in terms of product awareness, training and positioning.
- Responsible for the profitability, P&L and other commercial elements of the portfolio.
- Strategy formulation
- Product development and management best practice methodologies
- Strong knowledge of Satellite Ground and Space segment technologies
- Satellite transmission as relates to convergence of Fixed and Mobile data, Internet of Things (IoT) and M2M solutions
- Knowledge of ICT frameworks
- Knowledge of OSS & BSS systems
- Customer Experience (CXP) Journey Mapping
- Commercial business case modelling
- Competitive Tariffs, Pricing and Propositions
- Ability to communicate complex technical solutions to customers and stakeholders
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- Experience working in multi-national and multi-cultural environments
- Strong knowledge of the Enterprise Telecommunications Industry in Africa
- Strong knowledge of the Competitor landscape on a technology and market level globally
- Strong knowledge of the Regulatory environment and associated ICT laws
Job Related Skills
- Effective Communication skills; written, verbal and presentation
- Numeracy skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Strong Analytical skills
- Networking skills
- Decision making skills
- Strong Negotiation skills (internal and external stakeholders)
- Project Management skills
Qualifications & Experience
- Grade 12 (essential)
- Relevant 3 year Business or Technical degree / National Diploma (essential)
- Postgraduate Commercial degree (preferable)
- Minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience in the ICT industry essential including the following: (essential)
- Minimum 5 years’ Commercial/Technical Product Development/Management Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing a portfolio of VSAT products and services. (essential) OR (in the absence of a 3 year qualification as per above)
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations
- Presenting and Communicating Information
- Adapting and Responding to Change
- Planning and Organising
- Relating and Networking
- Analysing Information
- Applying Expertise and Technology
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking
- Persuading and Influencing
- Creating and Innovating
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Leading and Supervising
- Working with people
- Writing and reporting
- Coping with Pressures and Setbacks
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Adhering to Principles and Values
- Learning and Researching
- Following Instructions and Procedures