Who we are & what we stand for
BWB is a multi-award-winning engineering and environmental design consultancy with a proven reputation for technical excellence and exceptional client satisfaction. Proud to be awarded ACE Best Large Consultancy of the year 2022 and rated Platinum Investors In People (IIP), a prestigious accolade that demonstrates our commitment to our people and establishes us as an employer of choice.
To find out why we are an award-winning company please check out our guide Working for BWB
We invest in our people and ensure they have everything they need to develop a fantastic career. We extensively research, benchmark and review all salaries and benefits against others within the industry.
Join BWB and your career will not conform to the traditional models of yesterday but will be a fulfilling and challenging journey into tomorrow’s digital age; a journey that you will play an active role in defining!
At BWB you matter, and you will make a difference. A difference to the world you live in; the communities you engage with; even the development of your career and the profession.
What you’ll be doing
BWB Consulting has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Highways Engineer at Associate status to work in our Design Infrastructure team.
BWB are proud to have become a Highways England Regional Delivery Partner and you will be working with Highways England as well as numerous other key clients and will be a key member of a growing team within BWB.
- Working on challenging projects, you will be proficient in undertaking several aspects of preliminary and detailed design of public highways including geometry, drainage, pavements and other elements of highway schemes.
- You will have a keen interest in developing your understanding and ability in civil engineering design and a willingness to research and take on new challenges.
- To be able to work independently and use your engineering judgement to tackle day to day problems, delegate tasks and show a desire to develop graduates and engineers within the team.
- You will have experience of the multi-disciplinary nature of complex projects from planning stage, through to completion.
- Show a desire to develop your project coordination skills and a willingness to understand more about other disciplines roles on projects.
- You will have experience of the requirements of working with different types of client in a complex industry – our clients include developers, local authorities and contractors, all of whom have different expectations and requirements from you and the projects you will work on.
What you’ll bring
You will be expected to have the following personal attributes and skills:
- Technical independence with our industry standard design software packages Civil 3D (although extensive experience in the use of OpenRoads or PDS would be considered as long as there is a willingness to train on Civil 3D) and Microdrainage.
- The use of the Microsoft Office Suite of software, including Excel.
- Experience liaising with both internal and external bodies.
- Experience liaising with other consultants, project managers and directly with Clients.
- Good commercial awareness with effective influencing and negotiating skills, as well as an aptitude to develop emerging and new client relationships.
- Experience of providing an outward facing capacity as a design team representative in dealings with clients on technical matters.
- A visible and participative technical lead, willing and able to take responsibility for the technical solutions for projects.
- An ability to effectively delegate design responsibility to others and act in a mentoring role to less experienced staff.
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral, with the ability to adapt communication style to suit different circumstances.
- Track record of building and maintaining strong relationships at all levels both internally and externally.
- A ‘self-starter’ with drive, positivity and enthusiasm and a strong desire to succeed.
What we offer:
Values Driven Culture: We’re really proud of our culture. Check out our guide to Working for BWB
Empowering you to be your most authentic self
- Excellent Base Salary
- Car Allowance
- 25 days holiday with the option to purchase more pension
- Life Assurance 4 x salary
- Wellbeing support – qualified confidential support through Westfield Health
- Pension – BWB matches 5% of your salary into your pension to help save for the future.
- Healthcare cash plan
- Paid Sick Leave
Driving your own experience
- Hybrid working
- Access to personalised fully funded Learning & Development opportunities
- Paid professional subscriptions.
- Perkbox - Access to exclusive savings, discounts, free advice and benefits
- Cycle to Work
- Paid volunteering days
- Regular social events
- Long service reward scheme
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age.
If you have a medical condition or an individual need for an adjustment to our process, and you believe this may affect your ability to be your best - please let us know so we can talk about how we can best support you and make any adjustments that may be needed.