At Menzies Distribution we have been delivering across the UK since 1833, we can reach areas that other cannot. Today, we are Logistic UK’s most innovative business of the year, with a strong focus on the future, sustainability, and innovation – We keep moving forwards.
We have an excellent opportunity for a Transport Operator to join our team! Our team are responsible for delivering world-class service and time critical parcels to our customers.
And, let’s not forget, you’ll be joining one of the UK’s largest and most recognised distribution brands, where career, personal development and going the ‘extra mile’ is at the heart of our company ethos.
A bit about the role:
Overseeing all aspects of the distribution and despatch process, including customer service and administration. Based on a 42 hour week working 06:00-18:00 4on 4off day shift, you'll be supporting our team in Milton Keynes.
A day in the life as a Transport Operator might look like:
- Maintenance and Management of the Transport Management System (TMS).
- Ensure effective and efficient use of driver and vehicle resources.
- Ensuring customer requirements are administered in a timely, controlled and recorded manner.
- Liaise, support and develop effective working relationships with internal and external customers and suppliers.
- Promote effective and efficient standards of work, in order to comply with transport legislation, company policy and Health & Safety legislation.
- Promotion and adherence to site policy and procedure.
- Managing Driver hours, WTD rules.
- To carry out investigations or incident reports in relation to any vehicle incidents when necessary.
- Ensure all agency drivers are inducted correctly and Compliance is monitored.
- Manage tachograph infringements to ensure full compliance.
- Manage driver briefing / de-briefing including downloading driver digicards.
- Co-ordinate drivers including managing holiday and sickness cover.
- Query investigation and resolution.
- Preparing and submitting various KPI reports.
- Record, monitor & be proactive in achieving improved fuel efficiency and better MPG.
- Writing and issuing of any driver procedures and site processes.
- Cross functional interaction (Warehouse / Drivers or Contractors / Customers).
- Undertake any other duties that are reasonably requested.
- Participation in project work.
What we need from you:
- The ability to be able to work in a fast paced environment
- 'Right to Work' in the UK
- Excellent written and verbal skills are essential.
- Experience resolving disputes in a fair and calm manner and be able to identify issues, which could potentially become problematic and avoid situations arising.
- Report writing on Customer Service activity and proposed recommendations on how improvements could be made for the benefit of the company and its customers.
- Planning or scheduling experience
- Knowledge of Drivers Hours, Tachograph and WTD legislation.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety.
- Knowledge of transport systems.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to grasp new ideas, develop and assist in implementing better working practices and methods.
- Good spoken and written communication skills
- Confidence, tact and a persuasive manner
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Good ‘people skills’ for working with a range of colleagues and customers.
- A professional manner
- Develop a level of trust and support with all colleagues to ensure conflict situations do not arise
- Excellent computer literacy (Microsoft Office, Word & Excel).
- Ability to work on own initiative, demonstrates organisational skills.
- Change management skills
- Commitment to role and site objectives.
- Always strive to improve personally and professionally.
Ready to set the wheels in motion?
For any further information on roles, please get in touch!